Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Microaggressions

I can think of some small moments where people have made assumptions about me based on my race. I've been asked where I was from even though I was born here, and some people just assume that all Asians are born in Asia. I've gotten shocked looks when I haven't done as well on a test or assignment, revealing the stereotype that all Asians are very intelligent, and always do well academically. People have also made assumptions about my race based on my appearance, noting that my eyes are too big and my hair is too wavy for me to be Chinese (or even Asian). Some have even tried to guess my background- Vietnamese, Filipino, Mexican... One time my friend's family and my family were walking together, and someone randomly shouted, "What a nice Filipino family!" Although I'm not necessarily offended by these comments, it's interesting to see how people make assumptions about and judge others solely based on their appearance or background.

2 comments:

  1. Snappa's drag-and-drop editor, it’s quick and easy to create your own graphics for blog posts, social media profiles and ads. The tool provides access to more than half a million free stock photos, 70,000+ vectors and shapes, and 200+ fonts. It's free to download up to 5 files per month, or $10 a month for unlimited downloads.

    ReplyDelete