Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Art in NYC ♪


I visited the Museum of Jewish Heritage. They didn't allow photography, so I looked up the exhibit on the museum's website and found pictures:

                  

                                        

This piece of artwork is called the Garden of Stones and opened to the public on September 17, 2003. It can be see from almost every floor of the museum. The piece is outdoors, so there weren't any others around it. It is a living memorial garden, where trees grow from stones. This exhibit drew my attention because it looks very simple, but has a powerful message once you understand the story. The garden was planted by the artist, Holocaust survivors, and their families. I think it's trying to express the passage of time, as the garden will grow and change as you revisit it. I think it also represents the passage of time since the Holocaust, but despite the tragedy the garden will continue to grow. I love the idea of having a permanent exhibit, but one that changes on it own. This exhibit was created by Andy Goldsworthy. Through research, I found out that he likes to use materials that he can't edit- mostly parts of nature. He often uses flowers, icicles, leaves, pinecones, stones, etc. to create his art. 


9 comments:

  1. Hi Denise! Also, I think that the Garden is really unique as well. In our lives, stones don't matter as much and I guess during the time of the Holocaust, the Jewish people were treated the same way. Now, we can see that they were able to move on from that and just like the stones, they're able to grow and be a part of new things as time passes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the message really deep and meaningful. If I hadn't known this, I would've simply thought these were rocks, but in perspective of the context, trees is a natural way of flourish. When looking at green plants, people would relax which is ideal for those who have experienced the Holocaust or anything so horrid. I feel that the use of nature is his own way of telling himself, what's past has past and there is no way of changing it(hence the use of material which cannot be edited).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a beautiful piece of art because of it's ability to naturally change throughout the seasons and it's like an evolving art that matches with the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this piece of artwork because the story behind it very interest. I am surprised at the idea of tees grown from stone. I feel like the message behind the garden about Holocaust is very strong and remind us about the how Jewish people was treated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate how this combines art with a very important message. It looks simple but is actually very deep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This exhibit seems really interesting because the size of the stones are so huge that it can be considered as art when it is collected in a specific way. The name of the exhibit sounds interesting it sounds like it should be a title of a a harry potter book. Haha! And I didn't know trees can grow from stones. Nature is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how this piece of art is outside and also adds to the beauty of the outside of the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this doesn't feel like New York. I've never been to this museum but I think I need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete